A Certified Management and Executive Coach, Stephen applies in-depth business acumen and seasoned Human Resources expertise to career and life-enriching consulting.
Over the course of his 35+-year career, Stephen has held several senior HR generalist and specialist positions in both the public and private sectors. He has honed strong leadership and coaching skills characterized by a collaborative management style, personal initiative and a strong results orientation. This experience led to his founding of Competitive Edge Coaching, a firm specializing in coaching and consulting services for individuals in transition, small to medium-sized businesses and not-for-profit organizations.
As Senior Manager, Human Resources and Policy Compliance with Scotiabank in Toronto, he was responsible for designing, developing, implementing and managing strategically aligned policies, programs and processes that enhanced employee growth and organizational effectiveness.
Stephen is active in various political and community organizations. A member of the Human Resources Professionals Association since 1985, he holds the Certified Human Resources Leader designation. From 2012 to 2014 he was a volunteer Mentor with the Halton Chapter of the HRPA, and in 2015 initiated the first ever coaching support program for unemployed HR professionals in Ontario. Also an active member of the Burlington Chamber of Commerce, Stephen serves on their Political Action Committee as well as the Human Resources Committee of the Canadian Association for Equality.
RECENT COACHING & TRAINING SUCCESSES
- Coached and consulted with leaders on team effectiveness, succession planning and team strategies. Identified change management issues and worked with business leaders to develop and execute appropriate strategies
- Provided consultative advice, support, guidance, and conflict resolution to employees and managers to identify root causes and generate solutions on various issues
- Provided advice and counsel to managers on issues relating to performance of their employees including performance improvement plans, probationary reports, EAP, wellness and disability
CERTIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Associate Certified Coach accreditation (ACC ), International Coaching Federation (ICF)
- Certified Professional Coaching (CPC), College of Executive Coaching, California
- Advanced Coaching & Personal Coaching Certification (ACPEC), College of Executive Coaching, California
- Advanced Certificate in Alternate Dispute Resolution, University of Windsor
- Certificate in Adult & Continuing Education (CACE), University of Saskatchewan
- Masters degree in Public Administration (MPA), Queen’s University
- Masters degree in Industrial Relations (MIR), Queen’s University
- Honours BA, History and Political Science, McMaster University
- Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL)
- Trained facilitator in several psychometric assessment tools including EQ I 2.0, EQ I 360 and Personality Dimensions.